Recent Posts

Do you know older adults who are living with diabetes?
National Healthcare Decisions DaySet for April 16
Are you a Veteran, over 65 years of age, needing financial assistance for care?
The 'Grandparent Scam': Learn How to Protect Yourself
Assisted Living for Veterans and Surviving Spouses


Health News/Events
Senior Scams - Beware!


April 2013
April 2012
March 2012
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010

powered by

My Blog

Are you a Veteran, over 65 years of age, needing financial assistance for care?

Are you a Veteran, over 65 years ofage, needing financial assistance for care? Surviving Spouses may also qualify!  Application process is FREE.
Congress has allocated funding forwartime Veterans and their surviving spouses called the VeteransAdministration’s Aid and Attendance Improved Pension Plan.  Also known as “VA Aid and Attendance”, thisprogram is available to wartime veterans and surviving spouses who have“In-Home Care” or who live in “Assisted Living Communities”.  The City of Elk Grove has over 800 qualifiedbeds located in Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly.  For those who choose to receive their care athome, there are wide varieties of Nonmedical In-Home Care companies that serveour community as well.
To qualify, seniors must beincapable of self-support and in need of regular personal assistance. 
The basic criteria for the Aid andAttendance benefit include the inability to feed oneself, to dress and undresswithout assistance, or to take care of one’s own bodily needs.  People who are bedridden or need help toadjust special prosthetic or orthopedic devices may also be eligible, as wellas those who have a physical or mental injury or illness that requires regularassistance to protect them from hazards or dangers in their daily environment.
A typical scenario would be a seniorwho has been diagnosed with Dementia (most often Alzheimer).  Although this senior may be walking and seemalert, they often have trouble remembering their medication and even eating. 
For a wartime veteran or survivingspouse to qualify for this special monthly pension, the veteran must haveserved at least 90 days of active military service, one day of which was duringa period of war (WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam Conflict), and be dischargedunder conditions other than dishonorable. 
If all requirements are met, VAdetermines eligibility for the Aid and Attendance benefit by adjusting forun-reimbursed medical expenses from the veteran’s or surviving spouse’s totalhousehold income.  If the remainingincome amount falls below the annual income threshold for the Aid andAttendance benefit, VA pays the difference between the claimant’s householdincome and the Aid and Attendance threshold.
Additional information andassistance in applying for the Aid and Attendance benefit may be obtained bycalling 1-800-827-1000.  Applications maybe submitted on-line at   Information is alsoavailable on the Internet at or from any local Veterans service organization.  Additional resources may be viewed at ourlocal Elk Grove website at www.EGARCF.comfor additional information and resources.
Although this is not a new program,not everyone is aware of his or her potential eligibility.  Although it can be cumbersome to navigatethrough the application process it is ILLEGALfor anyone to charge you a fee for processing this claim!  We recommend working directly with the SacramentoCounty Veterans Claims Representative (listed below). 
If the Veteran/Spouse is interestedin Assisted Living, it is best to consult with an organization specializing inthat service.  Due to the high variationof services available within the City of Elk Grove, choose a local organizationsuch as the Elk Grove Association of Residential Care Facilities(916-284-4129).
Pleasecontact a Veterans Claims Representative (VCR) for a veterans’ benefitsentitlement determination interview.
SacramentoCounty, Veterans Service Office
200719th Street (between T and U Streets)
Sacramento,CA 95818
Phone:(916) 874-6811
FAX:(916) 874-8868
Office hours are:
Monday through Friday(excluding County holidays)
8:00am - 4:00pm (Walk inClients)
8:00am - 5:00pm(Telephone Inquiries)
Memberof the Elk Grove Association of Residential Care Facilities

0 Comments to Are you a Veteran, over 65 years of age, needing financial assistance for care? :

Comments RSS

Add a Comment

Your Name:
Email Address: (Required)
Make your text bigger, bold, italic and more with HTML tags. We'll show you how.
Post Comment
Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint